Google recently released a new instant messaging client cleverly named Allo. Google Allo was developed to be a worthy competitor to Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger.
Whether the app will become the next big thing in messaging apps, it still remains to be seen. Until then, one thing is for certain – Google Allo lives up to the hype.
With a good number of innovative features that have never been seen before in other smart messaging apps, Allo is rapidly gaining new users. The main reason for this is probably Google Assistant, a clever chatbot that can do a lot more than chat.
Aside from the clever AI, navigation around Allo is pretty straightforward. Here’s how to find your way around it:
How to Edit Your Profile in Google Allo
As it usually is with Google, the profile customizing options are pretty scarce. You can change your name and profile picture, but that’s about it.
When you first launch the app you will be taken through the process of inserting your name and selecting a profile picture. If, for some reason you want to edit your profile later, here are the steps you must follow:
1. Tap the menu button in the upper-left corner and tap the profile picture.
2. To edit your profile, tap the pen icon in the upper-right section of the screen.
3. You can change your name from the text box and hit Save once you’re ready. By tapping the camera icon you can add a new profile picture from your gallery or take a new one with your phone’s camera.
How to Set Up Custom Notification Sound in Google Allo
Google Allo allows you to set custom notification sounds for specific entries in your contact list. This will really come in handy when you’re trying to prioritize one contact over another. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open a contact window, tap the Settings icon and select Chat details.
2. Tap on Notification sound.
3. Select a custom notification sound from the list.
How to Search Messages by Keyword in Google Allo
The search bar in the upper-right section of the screen is incredibly helpful. You can use it to quickly search over all your conversations and find keywords. Just keep in mind that the search bar is currently not available on iOS and you can only use it on Android devices. Here’s how to use Google Allo’s search bar:
1. Tap on the search icon to bring up the wide search bar.
2. Type a keyword in the search bar and look through all the results.
How to Disconnect Your Google Account in Google Allo
Google Allo has a habit of automatically connecting with your Google account once you first configure the app. But this also gives Google Assistant access to your email. If you want to avoid this issue, you can follow the steps bellow.
1. Open the menu tab and tap on Settings.
2. Scroll down and hit Disconnect under Google Account.
How to Block People on Google Allo
So far, Google Allo doesn’t have any way to hide your phone number or make yourself invisible.
You can, however, block unwanted contacts from messaging you ever again. The catch is, you can only do it after a chat has already been initiated. Here’s how to do it:
1. Tap and hold on the contact you want to block until the hidden menu appears.
2. Hit Block to prevent the contact from ever contacting you again.
How to Unregister Your Phone Number from Google Allo
Google Allo allows you to unregister your phone number completely. Doing that will delete all your chats and remove you from any group you might be a member of. Here’s how to unregister your phone number from Google Allo:
1. Open the menu box and tap on Settings.
2. Scroll down, tap on Unregister phone number and confirm by tapping Unregister.